All Porsche site
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 1 year ago #13606

Hi Justin,

Ibrahim sold all of the first 50 units of his 4 cam cooling set up - about 30 went on real 4 cams, 14 on 356 pushrod motors and 6 on special Polo motor castings that Michael Doyle had made to accept the 4 cam cooling set up. Ibrahim is currently making another run and the cost, including the fan from Bob Garretson, is about $11,500. Not cheap, but it is the real deal. Ibrahim disassembled a factory shroud to make the tooling to reproduce it. Even the spot welds are in the same places. In addition to the unit in your photos, I did a deal thru Ibrahim and traded a reproduction shroud for a real shroud that had the correct duct and inner vanes to feed an Eberspacher B3 gas heater. Basically purchased a second unit and traded the shrouds. Thus my faux cam will have heat!

Drove the car from Seattle to Santa Fe and back for the west coast holiday. 3300 miles and a LOT of fun. Photo below was taken near Shiprock, NM on the way back. My friend, Ralfy, from Alaska flew down to the holiday and did the drive back with me. The tall 4th gear in the Skirmants built Trans was great - 3700 rpm at 80mph.
image.jpg

Regards,

Bill
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Bill Sargent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JTR70

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 1 year ago #13647

• JTR70
  • Administrator
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the heads-up on that! WOW, I should have bought when they were cheaper. That is a great photo of your car and looks like it should be on the cover of a catalog! It sounds like you had an amazing trip; Any more photos?? Thanks for your reply! Justin
Justin Rio
Last Edit: 1 year ago by JTR70.

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 1 year ago #13904

• JTR70
  • Administrator
11/27/13
Just dropped the case halves off at my buddy Bill's machine shop for a little milling to free up some extra Horsepower.
3562277.JPG

By foiling the edges on the back of these main bearing bosses for windage(the air being pushed back into the crankcase by the back of the piston on the down stroke) the Porsche factory claimed an increase of up to 10 additional Horsepower. Dean is not a big proponent of doing this but I figure if it helps with efficiency and creates just 5 extra HP, why the hell not.
AAA299886_10200725208313014_1188310981_n.jpg

Here is a photo my buddy Dave Liddle sent me of a case which has had its mains opened up and shaped for windage. Just a little my aero dynamic with the rounded corners versus the flat-blunt bosses on my case.
carrera1604.JPG

Here's Bill going over his plan of attack with me. It should be done in couple weeks once the new smaller diameter cutter he's ordered arrives. Thanks for looking! Justin
Justin Rio
Last Edit: 1 year ago by JTR70.

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 1 year ago #13909

• Rad-Ride
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Justin,
We clearance our VW motors like that also. My friend that builds our motors and transmissions raced VW's and shows us all the tricks he has learned over the years. They had a Dyno where he worked and confirmed to get some gains with this modification.

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 12 months ago #13929

• JTR70
  • Administrator
Thanks for the confirmation Frank! Sounds like your motor will have all these tricks as well. Every little bit helps! The other trick Dave Liddle told me about was called "windowing" the bases of the cylinders to also allow for better internal air flow. The photo below shows an example of "windowing".
carrera1608.JPG

Stock on the left and a "windowed" unit on the right. The cylinder is designated to a specific position on the case. A marker is used to trace the cylinder overhang inside case and the section is trimmed away provided its not cut deeper than bottom piston ring at its max lowest stroke. I need to double check but I believe this is done to the lateral sections of the walls. Again every little bit helps and it all eventually adds up so I'll be having Bill help me with this as well.
Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Justin Rio
Last Edit: 12 months ago by JTR70.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rad-Ride

Re: Polopolus engine build for junkyard coupe 58367 10 months, 3 weeks ago #15167

• Tony G
  • Fresh Boarder
Justin,
I am REALLLLLY enjoying this post! I can't wait to see the parts in person.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds